Tuesday, October 28, 2008

B-Day

Ok so those of you who have been keeping track of the excitement of my latest pregnancy with Victoria, she finally made her appearance Oct 24th at 12:26pm. She weighed 7 lbs 10 ozs and 19-3/4 inches long.

Well to catch everyone up, I had went to my appt last Wed and was 5cms and 70% and the midwife stripped my membranes. She also set up with L&D for me to be induced Fri if they had a bed. Well, I apparently became famous! I was the lady everyone talked about, how I was walking around at 5cms and not in "active" labor! Every L&D nurse that came in there told me how they couldn't believe I had been walking around at 5 cms and not gone into labor.

Well, I call Friday at 5am and they told me to come in at 5:30. So we go, get hooked up to the monitors and do the normal pre-delivery paperwork (aside from the pre-admission paperwork) and questions. The midwife came in around 7:30 and checked me. I was 6 cms and 80%, but my contractions were sporatic. So she breaks my water. We wait an hour to see if that will be all to make me go into "active labor". An hour later, my contractions really hadn't changed except for getting a little stronger. So she decides to start me on a very low dose of pitocin (in total, they gave me maybe a tsp over the entire time). Well, they are getting really strong and I'm going as long as I can before getting the epidural (yes, I really dislike pain). Well, when the nurse checked me before they gave me the epidural and i was 7-8cms and the contractions were 2 - 3 mins apart. As I was getting the epidural, the shakes started (luckily he was almost finished). I started to get a bit anxious because I still hadn't gone numb in the same area that hadn't gone numb with Katheryn. The told me i might have a "hot spot" in my back that wasn't letting the medicine get that spot. So they rolled me onto my left side and after a while it worked. Not too much longer after I went numb that the nurse checked me and called the midwife. Well, she was in the middle of an exam and when she rushed through that and got there my nurse was in the bathroom. LOL Ten minutes of pushing and Victoria was born. This by far was my fastest "labor" (all of mine had started after my water broke or was broken...Gabriel's was 12 hours long and 45 mins of pushing and Katheryn was 17 hours long and about 30 mins of pushing) and time pushing. I have to say I felt alot better too after this short labor than I did the long ones. The only "bad" thing that happened is Victoria came with her hand up with her head. The midwife thinks that I wouldn't have tore if it wasn't for that. :-( Both of her Bili tests (for jaundice) came back in the normal range and even though she lost 5 ozs, she has already gained back 1 oz as of yesterday.

So far things have been good aside from the soreness.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Congrats! She's beautiful. Can't wait to see even more pictures when you're feeling up to it!

Melissa said...

So happy for you Amanda! That sounds similar to Josh's birth! Rob almost missed it :-)

CONGRATULATIONS!!

How are Gabriel and Kathryn handling the baby in the house?

Unknown said...

Yay!!! What cuties you have :) I am so excited that you don't have to eat any more eggplant. . . hehe. But you can guarantee that I will be making that dinner when my due date week rolls around! She is a doll baby though.

EngineerHousehold6 said...

Thank you all!

The kids are doing ok. Gabriel is acting up a bit (like he did with Katheryn, but better) and Katheryn is my "little helper". She gets upset when "baby" cries. I think that because he is in school it helps him some.

I hadn't tried that recipe, but since we'll be at Knox too I'll make and you can come over if you'd like. :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulation Amanda! I am so happy for your and your family to have your new little one to finally arrive.