Saturday, August 15, 2009

What A Week!

Wow, I am so glad this week is over! Well, I guess it started 2 weeks ago. Victoria had diarrhea after having eaten some ice cream and got what I thought was a small diaper rash bump on her bottom. It looked like an itty bitty pimple for about 2 days then went away (or so I thought). Well, Sunday evening I changed her diaper and it was back, only 3 times the size. I didn't feel like going to the ER so I figured after I dropped Tom off at the airport Monday morning I'd just call and schedule an appt. Ha Ha. I called the appt line 3 times and each time there were 20+ people ahead of me. So I figured I'd just stop at the hospital and go talk to them instead of going on home. Well, no appts that day so I just walked over to the ER and waited. Luckily it was only a little over 2 hours for the entire ER stay. The docter said it looked like a boil or absess so he scheduled an appt for the surgical clinic the next morning. Ugh...had to reschedule my dentist appt because getting her in was more important. So we go wait an hour for her medicine and I finally get home around 12:45pm (mind you I've been up since 5:15 so far). So now I'm a bit worried for her and on top of that I am alone...Tom is in Alabama at school and I have to deal with this. So I pick myself up and deal with it because that is they only logical option I have. Well, needless to say Victoria decides to stay up until midnight. Thankfully my parents are watching Gabriel and his parents are watching Katheryn (though this makes me even more lonely). So Tuesday rolls around and go to the Surgical Clinic. Thankfully I brought the papers from the ER because they didn't see where they had an appt for her. The doc was really nice though. He tried to schedule it in the OR so that Victoria would be able to be more comfortable (not put to sleep, but just made a bit sleepy). The anestesiologist was ok with it because he had done this before, but hospital rules say...nope, no one under one. Ok so on to plan b. Oh I guess I should say that they are going to take a scalple and poke a small hole in the absess to drain it and take a culture. *Insert Amanda getting nasueus.* Well, they put some lydocane gell on it and do it (with me standing outside the door because I'd probably pass out). End result...no puss inside...apparently it had all drained out already. Ugh. Oh, I guess now would be a good time to say that Victoria had never once cried or complained when I changed her diapers which is why I didn't think it was anything too bad (well until it came back). Even after having this done they warned me she'd be really sensitive and would fuss when I went to change her diaper and that I should expect blood on her diaper (so me the worrier was expecting a lot). Well, I was worried for nothing. There was barely more than you would have if you gave blood and she never once cried not even the first time I changed her diaper afterwards. She has never once acted like it has bothered her. So Friday I took her for her follow-ups with pediatric and surgical clinics. You can barely tell that anything has happened to her there. It's almost 100% healed. Oh and the only time she has fussed about it (aside from when he did it) is when he went to check it at the follow-up.

Oh and I'd also like to say that the best way to get an appt is NOT by calling the appt line. Instead go straight in to the clinic. When I went in on Monday to make her follow-up appt with the pediatric docter, I asked about making a well-baby appt (well, if I needed to make one for 9 months because I was scatterbrained). They said yes and that she had an opening at 2 (it was around 9:45), but that she could see me then. So I was back seeing the regular doctor within 10 minutes of asking! I was surprised because I usually had to wait. There's always a loop hole, you just have to find it. The almost 10 month well-baby went great! Victoria still is eating every 2 - 3 hours (unless I substitute with regular food) and giving me maybe a 4 or 6 hour break at night, but that is normal! I am so lucky to have a doctor (well nurse practitioner) that promotes breastfeeding and reassures me that my baby's is normal. (The first one I had with Gabriel was horrible.)

Oh and my dentist appt went great again! No cavities! Woo Hoo!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a nightmare!!!! So glad everything turned out just fine and glad you found the loop hole :) Too bad I already switched, although I truly love our new doctor. He is also very supportive of breastfeeding. In fact, after they gave Caleb his shots they let me stay in the room to nurse him so he could get calmed down. I thought that was so nice because he was happy as a little clam when we left :) Do you see Ayers? I really liked her. My favorite was Padgett but he isnt there anymore. Anyways, if you ever need help with something like that, let me know! My family will be in town this week but next week maybe we can get together again. . .it has been a while :)